please note that our office and warehouse will be closed 16.12.2019 to 05.01.2020. The orders during this time will be shipped on 06.01.2020.
Enjoy all the sweet moments this wonderful holiday season and new year!
Your EXP-Tech team
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Delivery time approx. 5 working days
- Manufacturer: SpikenzieLabs
- Order number: EXP-R32-024
- Manufacturer part number: SPL-R023001
- Availability: 0
- country of origin: US
- HS code: 85423990
- Weight (kg): 0.46
The Useless Machine is a gizmo that turns itself off when you switch it on. But how? Is there a little stubborn person in the box playing a trick on you? Is it magic? No, it's a set of switches with a small motor and you get to put together! By building the kit yourself only you will know the secret of how it works. When you show it to your friends and co-workers, keep them guessing - after all you built it, it's your secret!
Invented in 1952 by Marvin Minsky at MIT. The useless style boxes, in various forms and with different names such as "ultimate machine" and "Leave Me Alone Box" have inspired curiosity and fun for more than half a century. Popularized in recent years by Frivolous Engineering, Solarbotics as well as many DIY versions on the internet. The SpikenzieLabs Useless Machine is our take on the basic concept, designed from the ground up in style, mechanism and ease of construction.
After many months of design, we are really excited about the clean look and ease of assembly of this kit. Plus, there is no soldering to do, all you need is a simple set of screwdrivers.
The Useless Machine has these great features:
- Easy to assemble
- No soldering required (Pre-assembled circuit board, use only a screw driver to attach battery and motor wires)
- Clean laser cut acrylic design.
- The motor and switch assembly is one piece (The motor, arm, both switches, LED lights and screw on battery terminals are all part of the same activation unit.)
- Two color LED arm lighting (Green LED while the arm is going up and red while it is going down)
- Robust and smooth hinge design
What's included in the kit?
- Laser cut acrylic case, arm, and motor mount.
- Battery holder
- Assembled circuit board with screw terminals for attaching batteries and motor
- Door pre assembled with robust 1/4" acrylic hinge
- Large Silicone non slip feet
- Hardware pack with screws, bolts, washers, stand-offs, Velcro and nuts
- 20 page build instruction guide with tons of photos.
Not included but necessary to build The Useless Machine
- Small size Phillips screw driver (x shape)
- Small size flat blade screw driver
- 3 AAA batteries
The Useless Machine is a really fun kit to put together. But the fun doesn't end there because everyone will want to flip your switch! Perfect on the desk of a Wall Street executive or for a grade school student doing show and tell. Get one today for you desk or your next show and tell presentation.