Pololu Qik 2s12v10 Dual Serial Motor ControllerPololu
The qik 2s12v10 adds a comprehensive yet easy-to-use, high-power option to Pololu’s line of motor controllers. The compact board—it’s almost the same size as the dual VNH2SP30 carrier board by itself—allows any microcontroller or computer with a serial port to drive two brushed DC motors with full direction and speed control, providing up to 13 A (continuous) per motor channel without a heat sink and tolerating peaks as high as 30 A.
The improvements over competing products include:
- high-frequency PWM to eliminate switching-induced motor shaft hum or whine
- a robust, high-speed communication protocol with user-configurable error condition response
- visible LEDs and a demo mode to help troubleshoot problematic installations
- reverse power protection
For a lower-power version of this controller, please consider the qik 2s9v1. For similar devices that support additional features and control interfaces, please consider the Simple High-Power Motor Controllers, TReX motor controller, and jrk 12v12 motor controller with feedback. For a robot controller based on the qik’s drivers, please consider the Orangutan X2 robot controller, which connects the VNH2SP30s to a user-programmable ATmega1284 AVR microcontroller.
Main Features of the Qik 2s12v10:
- Simple bidirectional control of two DC brush motors.
- 6 V to 16 V operating supply range.
- 13 A maximum continuous current per motor (30 A peak).
- Logic-level, non-inverted, two-way serial control for easy connection to microcontrollers or robot controllers.
- RS-232-level, one-way serial control for easy connection to a PC serial port.
- Optional automatic baud rate detection from 1200 bps to 115.2 kbps.
- Seven on-board indicator LEDs (power, status/heartbeat, error indicator, and motor indicators) for debugging and feedback.
- Advanced features include configurable acceleration, motor current feedback, and current limiting.
- Error output to make it easier for the main controller to recover from an error condition.
- Optional motor shutdown on error or serial timeout for additional safety.
- Jumper-enabled demo mode allows initial testing without any programming.
- Optional CRC error detection eliminates serial errors caused by noise or software faults.
- Comprehensive user’s guide.
- Size: 1.86" x 2.15" x 0.28"1
- Weight: 14 g1
- Motor driver: VNH2SP30 x2
- Motor channels: 2
- Control interface: non-inverted TTL serial (2-way); RS-232 serial (1-way)2
- Minimum operating voltage: 6 V
- Maximum operating voltage: 16 V
- Continuous output current per channel: 13 A
- Peak output current per channel: 30 A
- Current sense: 0.13 V/A
- Maximum PWM frequency: 19.7 kHz3
- Minimum logic voltage: 2.7 V
- Maximum logic voltage: 5.5 V
- Reverse voltage protection?: Y
- 1.Without included hardware.
- 2.Autodetects baud rates between 1200 and 115,200 bps, or can be set for a fixed baud at 115.2, 38.4, or 9.6 kbps baud rate.
- 3.Can also be configured to use 9.8 kHz, 2.5 kHz, 1.2 kHz, 310 Hz, or 150 Hz PWM frequencies.